Search This Blog

Monday, October 25, 2010

Understanding the Liturgical Worship Service: Afterthoughts

I've finally finished my thoughts on the liturgy! Why was this so important? It's kind of a long post, so I've highlighted my summarizing points.

1) The main reason, in my opinion, that folks think the liturgy "just doesn't speak to them" is that they don't understand the significance of what they are saying every week. So I've tried to spell out some of the meaning behind these ancient words, hoping that whomever reads this would be edified, as well as more pro-liturgy, as it were.

2) A generation ago, many folks thought that "traditional" worship would eventually die out, while many others thought that "contemporary" worship was just a phase. So virtually no one dialogued or debated their position and instead smugly ignored- or spewed vague, damning comments about- the other.
Today, the so-called "worship wars" have died down, but an entire church body is un-united on one of the most important parts of the faith. Thankfully, there are those who are beginning to wit (see, understand) that neither side is backing down and that the debate needs to be more than a subjective one. My hope is that these posts, yea this blog, would at the very least add "food for thought," if not start other discussions.

3) One cannot talk about variations on a theme if one does not know what the theme is. Furthermore, I am wholly opposed to trying to Lutheranize "contemporary" worship, but instead favor the exact opposite.

4) I knew that even if no one read my posts, I'd at least get practice spelling some of the meaning behind the liturgy, since this will not be the last time I talk about these things (Lord willing).

Posts to come will include thoughts on other reasons why folks have left liturgical worship and finding some appropriate, historical, and Confessional answers (if there are any) to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment