Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Bible Vocabulary: Words that Should Be Better Understood; Part I: Saved

"For by grace you have been made safe through faith, and that not of yourselves, for it is the gift of God, and it does not come by works, lest anyone should boast of oneself." Ephesians 2:8-9, NKJV, altered in via Tyndale


We all are familiar with the words, 'safe' and 'saved,' knowing that both words have to do with the preservation of something from something else. If I were to say, "I feel safe only when I lock my doors," I would mean that I only feel spared from danger when my doors are locked. If I were to say, "I saved the last piece of pie," it would mean I was saving it from being eaten.

Yet there is an additional meaning in the word, one that has been lost over the years. The word comes to us via the Latin word 'salve,' meaning 'health,' 'well-being,' 'or wholeness.' When a Spanish-speaking person sneezes, one says, "Salud!" A medical ointment used to soothe someone is called a 'salve.' Thus when Tyndale translates that we are made safe through faith, he not only means that we are preserved from damnation, but also that we are made whole, made well.

Hence his translation of Matthew 9:21-22: "For she said to herself, 'If only I may touch His garment, I shall be made safe.' But Jesus turned around, and beheld her saying, 'Be of good cheer, daughter; your faith has made you safe.' NKJV, alt. via Tyndale.

What I like about this added meaning is its relation to post-modern spirituality (broadly speaking). I have heard too many people and seen too many books that talk about how to be spiritually well, what wholesome spiritual living means, etc, etc. Instead of asking people, "Brother, are you saved?" we can ask them, "Are you spiritually well, my friend?" It means the same thing and might even receive a less guarded answer.

(As one who has already studied too much Greek, I should note that it would be incorrect to translate the Ephesians verse, "you have been made whole through faith" because the Greek word 'σώζω' does not carry the meaning of health.)

No comments:

Post a Comment